Monday, August 23, 2010

Draft Two - Scrambled Eggs & Mercury Retrograde

I'm about half way through my rewrite and this is crucial week. Last week, my family was in town which seriously cut into my writing time, so this week it's time to redouble my focus. I'm not playing catch up, I'm just getting serious.

Now it's time for an analogy: If my script were a breakfast food.

My simple little first draft omelet has now turned into scrambled eggs. The omelet needed some more ingredients to make it perfect, but in the process of adding a little of this and a little of that everything lost its place. What I'm left with scrambled egg surprise.

It's not so bad. It's kind of a necessary step. What I'm doing is expanding character and what I've done is a common mistake. I front loaded all the information I have about my characters into the first opportunity they had to open their mouths. These characters are on a roll and they won't shut up. I have scenes of four page dialogues sequences. Yickes! That is really not going to fly.

I have to remind myself that just because I've made these great discoveries about my characters, I have to be patient and let it unfold. Just like you can't rush an omelet, you have to be gentle and give your story its own time to solidify.

But, for today, I'm allowing my characters to talk it out until I get through the whole script. This is letting them get it out of their system and letting me know more about them.

What I'll start tomorrow is shaping and editing. This is how I'll turn the scrambled eggs, with gobs of cheese and onions and tomatoes, mushrooms back into a fabulous omelet. More about that tomorrow.

PS. Mercury Retrograde is back for another three weeks. It's a great time to rewrite and go deeper with projects, to finish things up... So happy rewriting!

No comments:

Post a Comment