Monday, August 16, 2010

Draft Two - Okay, Now I'm really getting started

Okay - so last week I had big plans. I compiled notes. I made a new copy of my script on my computer and labeled it Draft Two. And then I worked on my novel.

Because, in a perfect world you would put your draft on a shelf long enough to forget about all your darlings. Long enough to look at it with fresh eyes before diving in and redoing it. But, this isn't a perfect world. You never have enough time for that.

That said, I took a week and worked on something else. But here it is Monday and I've got to get cranking.

My managers also wanted me to go further with the romance of the idea. The part that is cool about what the main character experiences, expand that - that's why we're at this movie. So, I've got to look for the moments to open them up.

What's problematic about this request is that it's a challenge to bring conflict into a section that you're simply adding for wish fulfillment's sake. And I never add something to my script merely to fulfill one purpose. Also, without conflict you have nothing. So, this is a challenge. How to start?

Once again I'm going to look back at my tonal guideposts for clues. As explained in my post Stumbles Are Necessary - tonal guideposts are break downs of similar films. You can always look back at them to see what they did in a section where you are lost. Often this provides an insight, which in turn jogs and idea, which gets you writing again.

I'll let you know how I did with that tomorrow. Happy writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment