Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Day 26 - Finished. Fade Out. Now the Work Begins.

Something surprising happened yesterday. I got a late start, but managed to fend off the stress and just start. I had read through my first two acts over the weekend and made some small tweak-notes. I started with addressing those to get me warmed up and that lead me to rework the last scene I had written. Then I just kept going and before I knew what was happening - I was typing Fade Out.

And then I did something really insane - I turned it in.

All my trusted readers who aren't on my team are traveling and so I gave it to my great managers. They know it's a rough draft (best not to call it vomit when asking for notes). I felt like it was a good place to get a sweeping temperature read. So, we'll see.

Usually people in Hollywood don't read anything (unless it's something really pressing) until the weekend. They don't have the time. Maybe a slight draft of 93 pages (okay, I told you that was okay for the rough draft) might get a sneak peak. We'll see.

When they do get back to me, that's when the true work begins. I will stay open and listen without attachment. I will then step back and absorb. Then I'll plunge in and make the script rock.

In the meantime, I am charging ahead on my novel. My goal is to get the chunk I promised to show my agents finished by Friday. Now, if I can accomplish that - then I will most definitely take the weekend off. Or maybe I'll work on the project I'm producing and mentoring with a young and talented writer/director friend. Yeah, probably that.

Heck I have a 20 month old mouth to feed. Nothing like a little motivation! Happy Writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment