Thursday, July 29, 2010

Day 23 - Writing Anyway

Checking in from the end of the second act. I'm writing a part of the script that I just don't like. My attention is wandering. I'm current on all my bills and shampooing the carpets is really sounding like a fabulous plan for the morning.

But, NO!

Instead of darting away from my uncomfortable feeling - instead of avoiding - I need to welcome this discomfort, this dislike, this I'm on the verge of a "I don't wanna" tantrum, as an invitation.

Why don't I like this section? Because it feels silly. And even though a little dash of humor ALWAYS helps*, silly and meandering is not what needs to be happening right now. Tension should be mounting. Obstacles rising.

So what's missing? I'm not sure, but here's where I'm going to look right after I publish this post. CONFLICT. External and internal. Perhaps she's only dealing with external conflicts and I've let the internal conflicts slide. Perhaps that's why this section is feeling slapstick-y.

The point is - the carpets can wait another day or two. Stay with your work. Don't go into denial about what's not working - be thankful that you have an internal sensor to keep you sharp.

*A note about humor. Humor to some measure always works. Even in drama, even in horror, even in action. Case in point - Life is Beautiful (humor in drama) Interiors (no humor in drama). (If you take a Woody Allen class in film school, don't miss Interiors -it's horrible. There's not a single moment of levity. It starts tragic and goes straight North.) Which film allowed your to feel more? That's what I thought!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for writing this journal on your writing process. As I'm in the middle of writing my script too, it feels like holding a hand of a grown-up, very comforting!
    Camilla- norway

    ReplyDelete