Friday, October 1, 2010

Nearly There - And Diverted

Here's the reality of spec writing - paying gigs always take precedence. So this week - I've assembled all the feedback (nearly) and I'm preparing to launch into the last minor pass. (Which should only take a day or two.) But, an assignment has come up and I need to place the majority of my focus on that.

I love writing on assignment. I get lots of questions on how that works - and in a nutshell here goes:

A studio has a property (either a script, a novel, a magazine article or just a concept) that they want to turn into a movie. They look for a writer to turn the property into a script or to take the script they already have into a new direction.

The producer or studio reads samples from a list of writer's they have generated. They select a few and invite those people in to discuss the idea. Usually you have to pitch your "take" or your version of the story. If they like your take the best you are offered the job. Then your peeps get to negotiate your terms while you hold your breath hoping the deal doesn't fall through.

Assignments are great because they make you think in creative ways you wouldn't normally happen upon in your spec work. It's an outside in process - instead of an inside out. Meaning, a spec is usually something that you are interested and you create it to share your idea with the world. An assignment is an idea that is given to you and you make it your own. I love it. It also pays the bills and keeps your family under good health coverage.

That said, it's time to come up with a pitch for the assignment. There's a wrinkle with this assignment because there are already elements attached and the story has to fit a number of preordained criteria. Tricky. Well, that's why they need a professional. If it wasn't hard, anybody could do it. So, no belly-aching here. Just make it happen.

Hopefully, I'll land the job quickly and while my contracts are being drawn up and I can top-off the spec script. Or while they agonize over whether to hire me or not, I can finish my spec. But first things first. This is part of the juggling act I alluded to in my "Life as a Writer" post.

I've got a plan. Deep breathes. One step at a time... I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment