Thursday, October 28, 2010

Best Words A Writer Can Ever Hear?

Well, I heard the best words a writer can hear today. Can you guess what they are?

You might think it would be praise for your writing. You might think it would be how a story you wrote brought them to tears, mad them laugh. Yes, it is phenomenal when I renowned producer like Donald Deline quotes a line you've written back to you... Or when a major movie star tells you that they love the character you wrote for them. These are moments you won't forget.

But, in the reality of a writer's life, all of those great things fall short to this simple phrase: "Let's get you paid, so you can start writing."

So, while the spec is going to make its way over to my agents this week - still doing a small bit of character tweaking. I am once again an employed writer.

So, to recap: I have a project in New York being Exec Produced by Garry Marshall. I have a big spec hopefully soon to be packaged by my big agency. I have a novel half way finished and a mocumentary directing project set for next year - but it is super, duper great to be writing on assignment. It is the bread and butter that lets all the other things have their chance.

So, rejoice with me and be grateful for every job - no matter how big or small. The key to writing in this day and age is to keep as many plates spinning in the air as possible.

Happy writing!

PS. The next post will be on pitching. An art form in and of itself and must have skill when it comes to getting work in Hollywood.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on being paid to write. Every time it happens seems like a miracle. I am going to follow to see where this leads you. And what you said about keeping as many plates spinning as possible is SO TRUE!!

    ReplyDelete