Monday, August 29, 2011

"The more you do, the more you can do." Lucille Ball

First, I want to thank the people who have been patiently waiting or not so patiently sending me email requests to update and or continue this little blog.

I had to take a hiatus for two reasons:

A)  There are times in a writer's life when life goes on fast-forward and everything that isn't work must be shoved violently aside.    So you'd better have a life-partner who understands and supports this because he/she will be doing baby-duty and cooking and cleaning.  Sometimes it gets so bad you forget to bathe until said life-partner puts his/her foot down, points to the shower and says, "You're becoming air-pollution."

There's a truism: "Work begets more work."   But in Hollywood it's more like, "People only want to work with you when you are working."  So when you have one delicious deadline, suddenly you'll have three.  Currently I have five separate projects, all with meaty little, night-sweat inspiring deadlines.

So I'll give you my favorite quote that always gets me through:  "The more you do, the more you can do."  Lucille Ball

Lucille Ball is one of my all-time idols; not only a genius comedian but an astute businesswoman and a pioneer in television.

Digression for idol worship over.

The second reason I have not updated the blog is this:

B)  I was waiting til I inked (signing the contract, code for getting paid, money in the bank) on the job I've been trying to land with the B.H.P.  (Big Hollywood Producer) to blog extensively about that project.

The entire process of working with this particular producer has been very illuminating.  He's brilliant and a true original.  He has stretched me in ways I couldn't imagine.  (Not unlike that time I wandered into that yoga class that was way above my pay-grade.)  It's been hard.  It's been painful.  But, it's exactly what I needed and it feels really great when I'm done.

That said, I'm not about to tell you the real blow-by-blow skinny until I have my contract.  I may be a screenwriter, but I'm not an idiot.  (Okay, that made me laugh.)

Until then...

Happy Writing.



No comments:

Post a Comment