Thursday, July 14, 2011

Juggling Projects - The Treatment, The Spec and The Pitch

Today I am turning in the treatment to the Big Hollywood Producer (from now on being referred to as B.H.P.) and I sincerely hope that he will be as happy with it as I am.

Actually, that's an understatement - I'll be crushed if he doesn't think I'm a genius.

(Okay - be honest, isn't that what we ALL want to hear?  Just once.  Right?)

But seriously - I'm really proud of the work.  And at the end of the day - that's all a writer can do.   Give it your all and then MOVE ON...

So, while I await his response (and visualize him sending me a bottle of champagne to celebrate*)  I need to get cranking on my spec.  I also need to write a pitch on an old project I have a new take for that I now have a real opportunity to sell to a production company I've worked with many times in the past.

So, a juggling I will go.

People have asked me what the difference is between a treatment and a pitch.  So, here goes:

A treatment is a synopsis of a film, written in prose.  In Hollywood the shorter the better, but in general movie treatments usually come in around ten pages.  That said the one I just finished is 20 pages.

A pitch is a synopsis of a film that you "pitch" orally.  You may write out a pitch, so that you know what you will be saying and have something to practice from, but the end result of this process is to tell the story.

I'm going to divide my time between writing out the pitch (in five pages or less) and writing out my new direction for my spec in two pages or less (the nuts and bolts of plot.)

Wish me luck and I'll keep you posted on The Treatment - when I get word.  The B.H.P. is on vacay - so it might be a couple weeks.

Happy Writing!

*Okay - that's not going to happen, even if he loves it.  But, my personal fantasies can be unrealistic as long as my writing isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment