Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Day Two - The Assignment

First a note on the spec. Agent sent apologies, has not read yet. Maybe next weekend or over the holiday? I'm not sweating it. With the holidays there's not much action that is going to take place right now anyway.

So I will focus on my assignment. Which is in a rush.

Day Two: Cards

So, I took my pitch and tried to break it down into an outline. And that didn't get me very far - because the pitch was so condensed. To expand it to a nice outline with approximately 40 beats - I get to pull out some of my favorite play things: Index Cards.

Hanging on the wall behind my desk is an enormous cork board just for this purpose.

Putting scenes on cards is a freeing exercise. It must use a different part of your brain.

Start with the scenes you know you have to write. Jot down notes on anything and everything from dialogue to ideas about what actually happens in the scene. As ideas come up that don't fit into the scenes you already have in your treatment jot them down on their own cards. Put the randoms over to one side and start lining up the "mandatory" cards in their acts, in order. It's loads of fun.

This should take me another day to complete. If I wasn't under contract, I'd probably stretch this process out all week - but there's that nasty little deadline making me uber efficient.

When I arrive at 40 cards - then I'm on to the next step.

Until then... Happy Writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment