Friday, February 3, 2012

First Draft - How Long Is Too Long?

So, I'm about to turn in my first draft.  Written in a mere five weeks (okay, I was working from the most detailed outline of my career, but still)...  five weeks is pretty fast, not lightning, but speedy.  Especially when you consider I worked over two legal holidays and through a toddler illness.

So, here's the deal.  It's 132 pages long.  In the genre that I'm working in - maybe 120 is acceptable - maybe.  So, I've got a problem.

But, in this case, I am working with a very hands on (and brilliant) producer who has gone over the outline with me with a very fine-toothed comb.  Extremely fine, like the kind you use to remove lice from school age children.  And I hesitate to cut anything that we have gone over together without giving him a chance to look at it.

This is what's called the "pre-first draft" or "producer's pass."  I'm handing it in, but I'm not counting it as a draft.  I just want to get his opinion on this "rough" assemblage.

But still, come on.  You can't hand in 132 pages!

Okay, so what to do?  A writing professor friend of mine suggested "change the spacing to tight." Another veteren suggested removing the extra space before the slugline.  

What does this tell me?

That I'm not the first scribe to leave in the kitchen sink.  It's so common, we already have tricks to deal with it.

Is being too long really a big deal on a first draft?  Some would say better to have more than less.  Then you can cut what you don't need.

We'll have to see.  My experience tells me two things.

1)  If it's too long - you have a structural problem, you don't know your chararcters well enough and you are therefore overwriting.  You aren't trusting your writing or your audience. You are a control freak.  Fix it.

And:

2)  Producers are way more likely to suggest additions and changes, but rarely cuts.  The BHP I'm working with will probably be the exception to this rule, as he has been an exception to the rule on all other things so far.  But in general, they will add to your page count.

"We've got to cut this down."  Will be their first note, followed by a three page list of what they want added for marketing, the actor they cast and their own story points.  All valid - but not helping the page count.

So, what to do?

I'm going to listen to my friends' advice and tweak the formatting, of course!  Heck, I might even fudge the margins...

And I'm going to celebrate my draft.  There are moments in it that I have never come close to rivaling.

This is a first draft.  I'm going to give it its due and hope that my BHP and some distance from the story will guide me to the next official first draft.

To be continued....

Happy Writing


No comments:

Post a Comment