Monday, November 28, 2011

Writing Tip Of The Week: Writing When You're Tired

Here's my brief writing tip of the week.

What to do when you are tired and you feel like you are writing nonsense?  Not only nonsense, but total garbage that you hate.   You know how that feels nothing about your work is keeping you interested.  The fact that you are contractually obligated offers no motivation.  Everything is horrible.  You never had any talent anyway.  Who are you kidding?  My mother could write better dialogue.  Before you start hacking away at the good work that you've done yesterday or lose faith in the project all together...  do yourself a favor:  Take A Nap.

This is one of the big perks of our job.  We are free to nap at will.  Not too many people can say that.  Think about bank tellers, school teachers or waitresses.  They can't just plop down for a power nap.  "Ordering.  I'll just pick it up in about a half an hour."  No!

But, writers can and should.  I think it helps.  I'll go further - I believe it's part of the process and I will explain that to the IRS if they ever ask why there's a couch, a fluffy pillow and a blanket of weight to match the season in my office at all times.

And here's something that most people outside the business don't know...  If you write out the thing that you're stuck on before you nap and put it on a 3 x 5 card - when you wake up little writing elves will have solved the problem and you can move on to the next scene.  It's ab-so totes incred....

No, okay, not really.  But, more often than not when I write down a problem and then have a 20 minute power nap, a new way of dealing with the issue presents itself when I get back to work.  At the very least I'm more refreshed and I'm more present in my work.

So, happy writing and happy napping.

Next post:  Update on The Movie  and The B.H.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment