Monday, April 18, 2011

The Independant Contractor on Vacation

Have you ever heard the phrase, "You'll never have a tougher boss than when you work for yourself."

Well, here's a newsflash - I just took my second vacation in my entire career.

Other than my honeymoon, I haven't ever had time off unless I was too delirious from fever to sit up.   But this week, I turned in my pages to the producer, we had a great meeting and are ever closer to making a deal and instead of diving back in and finishing it off, I went the other way.

I took the week off.  Wow.  I just needed it.  After the craziness of the very short assignment deadline, followed by the flu, followed by my son getting the flu, followed by another deadline (the self-imposed) I was just done.  The stick-a-fork-in-me kind.

But after a week of playing golf and planting flowers in the garden - my mind runneth over with inspiration.  I'm fired up, I feel ten years younger (albeit not as hungover as I was ten years ago.)  So I feel good about it.  My unscheduled week off was just what I needed.

And here's what makes all of this so improvable.  I'm actually schedule to take a vacation (although some work is mixed in to this one) in a mere four weeks.

So, goals between now and then.  Goals are important. 

1) Finish the new (and hopefully) final draft of this detailed movie treatment for the great movie producer I've been developing it with.

2) Bang out at least the new first draft of my spec.  (Researching the second act is part of my next trip.)

Happy Writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment